ANY DOLLAR AMOUNT THAT YOU DONATE IS MEANINGFUL AND APPRECIATED.
Most importantly, it will be used directly to improve the school.
What does the Annual Fund pay for?
The PS 198M PTA funds many initiatives and events that improve our children’s education. Three of those top programs are:
- Teacher Professional Development (“PD”)
- What is Professional Development: PD is no longer about simple in-service workshops. PD is a vigorous system that requires ongoing and continuous engagement in a process of collaborative learning.
- Why do our PS 198M teachers need it: PD is designed to advance the growth of teachers and help our teachers stay current with research/trends in education. PD keeps teachers motivated and helps the school retain highly qualified teachers.
- Costs: $25,000 for 2016-2017. PS 198M has hired Barb Golub, a global literacy consultant, to provide our school on-site professional development that is tailored to our school’s needs. Consultants are “in the know” and aware of the latest changes in testing and common core.
- Why the DOE is not covering PD costs: The Department of Education (DOE) provides many workshops for teachers. Our teachers are already taking advantage of these resources. The costs of PD consultants are NOT covered by the DOE. The consultants are available at PS 198M to help our teachers return from cycles of professional learning outside of the school and make sense of it within their practice and in their classrooms.
- What is Playworks: Playworks’ mission is to improve the health and well-being of children by increasing opportunities for physical activity and safe, meaningful play.
- Why our students need Playworks: PS 198M utilizes Playworks in an effort to provide a more meaningful recess. With organized play and programs such as their Junior Coach program, Playworks teaches our children how to be active while teaching social skills, problem solving and conflict resolution. In addition, our Playworks coach works with students within the school day and has offered after school leagues. Moreover, Playworks training programs teach parents, educators and staff how to incorporate healthy play during school recess periods.
- Costs: $30,000 for 2016-2017
- School Enrichment Classes funded by PTA
- What are the enrichment classes: Yoga, Chess, Story Pirates, NY Historical Society, Ballroom Dancing and Rosie’s Kids as well as the new Musical Production Program with Ms. Fisk.
- How they benefit the students: These enrichment programs provide opportunities for all PS 198M students to enrich and complement their academic programming. Enrichment programs are provided to all grades. Most enrichments run for a total of 10-12 weeks.
- Total Costs: $50,000 for 2016-2017
How much should I give?
The suggested donation is $750 per child. This equates to just $4.17 per day of school. If you cannot give the $750, please give whatever you can.
How can I make my contribution?
You can donate with your credit card via PayPal by clicking on the button below. Don’t forget to enter you child’s and teacher’s names on the online form!
If you would rather make a donation by check or cash or give in monthly installments, please download the PTA Annual Fund Brochure and return the completed form to the PTA Mailbox in the school’s Main Office.
Can I get a corporate match from my employer?
YES. If your employer has matching gift program, please be sure to request a match. We would be happy help complete any required forms. For those applying for Corporate Matching, the following documents might be required by your employer:
2. PS 198M Parent Teacher Association’s Brochure outlining our activities
3. Donation Receipt – you should receive an email directly from PayPal
Your PS 198M PTA is a recognized 501c3 non-profit organization, and your donations are tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law.
With your support, we hope to bring even more enrichments to the school this year.